Every state is known for something. As you work your way through the list, don’t miss the best books set in Maryland.
Maryland is a Mid-Atlantic state that’s defined by its abundant waterways and coastlines on the Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic Ocean. Its largest city, Baltimore, has a long history as a major seaport.
Fort McHenry, the birthplace of the U.S. national anthem, sits at the mouth of Baltimore’s Inner Harbor, home to the National Aquarium and Maryland Science Center.
Best Books Set in Maryland
The Chesapeake Series
Author: Nora Roberts
#1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts presents a collection including all four novels in her captivating saga about the lives and loves of four brothers on the windswept shores of the Chesapeake Bay.
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Author: Rebecca Skloot
Over the decade it took to uncover this story, Rebecca became enmeshed in the lives of the Lacks family—especially Henrietta’s daughter Deborah. Deborah was consumed with questions: Had scientists cloned her mother? Had they killed her to harvest her cells? And if her mother was so important to medicine, why couldn’t her children afford health insurance?
The Accidental Tourist
Author: Anne Tyler
Travel writer Macon Leary hates travel, adventure, surprises, and anything outside of his routine. Immobilized by grief, Macon is becoming increasingly prickly and alone, anchored by his solitude and an unwillingness to compromise his creature comforts.
Then he meets Muriel, an eccentric dog trainer too optimistic to let Macon disappear into himself. Despite Macon’s best efforts to remain insulated, Muriel up-ends his solitary, systemized life, catapulting him into the center of a messy, beautiful love story he never imagined.
A fresh and timeless tale of unexpected bliss, The Accidental Tourist showcases Tyler’s talents for making characters—and their relationships—feel both real and magical.
Tess Monaghan Novel series
Author: Laura Lippman
Until her paper, the Baltimore Star crashed and burned, Tess Monaghan was a damn good reporter who knew her hometown intimately — from historic Fort McHenry to the crumbling projects of Cherry Hill.
Now gainfully unemployed at twenty-nine, she’s willing to take any freelance job to pay the rent — including a bit of unorthodox snooping for her rowing buddy, Darryl “Rock” Paxton.
- Great product!
- Octavia E. Butler (Author)
Author: Octavia Butler
The visionary author’s masterpiece pulls us—along with her Black female hero—through time to face the horrors of slavery and explore the impacts of racism, sexism, and white supremacy then and now.
Now that you’ve completed the list of best books set in this state, why not check out some others? Here are the Best Books Set in All 50 States.
DOWNLOAD AND PRINT BOOKS SET IN ALL 50 STATES
Click here to download the printable. It has a list of books in all 50 states including the Best Books Set in Maryland.
- Halloween Baking Shows on Hulu
- 10 Best Dance Movies
- How to Make a Fun Family Movie Night
- Listen to these 44 Books that Became Movies
- 11 Awesome Books that Became Movies
- 22 Banned Books You Can Watch as Movies
- 20 Books to Read Aloud and Watch the Movie
Further Reading About the State:
- Your Maryland: Little-Known Histories from the Shores of the Chesapeake to the Foothills of the Allegheny Mountains
- Chesapeake Country
- What's Great about Maryland? (Our Great States)
- Explorer's Guide Baltimore, Annapolis & The Chesapeake Bay: A Great Destination (Explorer's Great Destinations)
- 50 Things to Know About Birds in Maryland : Birding in the Old-Line State (50 Things to Know About Birds- United States)
- A Full List of All of the Transformers Movies - May 31, 2023
- Best Movies Set in Idaho - May 30, 2023
- Full List of All the BET Plus Shows Available - May 29, 2023