Every state is known for something. As you work your way through the list, don’t miss the best books set in Missouri.
Missouri is a state in the Midwestern region of the United States. Ranking 21st in land area, it is bordered by eight states: Iowa to the north, Illinois, Kentucky, and Tennessee to the east, Arkansas to the south, and Oklahoma, Kansas, and Nebraska to the west
Best Books Set in Missouri
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
Author: Mark Twain
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain is an 1876 novel about a young boy growing up along the Mississippi River. The story is set in the Town of “St. Petersburg”, inspired by Hannibal, Missouri, where Mark Twain lived.
- Great product!
- Flynn, Gillian (Author)
Author: Gillian Flynn
On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne’s fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick’s clever and beautiful wife disappears.
Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn’t doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife’s head, but passages from Amy’s diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge.
Under mounting pressure from the police and the media—as well as Amy’s fiercely doting parents—the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceit, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he’s definitely bitter—but is he really a killer?
- Franzen, Jonathan (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
Author: Jonathan Franzen
St. Louis, Missouri, is a quietly dying river city until it hires a new police chief: a charismatic young woman from Bombay, India, named S. Jammu. No sooner has Jammu been installed, though, than the city’s leading citizens become embroiled in an all-pervasive political conspiracy.
A classic of contemporary fiction, The Twenty-Seventh City shows us an ordinary metropolis turned inside out, the American Dream unraveling into terror and dark comedy.
- Used Book in Good Condition
- John Williams (Author)
Author: John Williams
William Stoner is born at the end of the nineteenth century into a dirt-poor Missouri farming family. Sent to the state university to study agronomy, he instead falls in love with English literature and embraces a scholar’s life, so different from the hardscrabble existence he has known.
And yet as the year’s pass, Stoner encounters a succession of disappointments: marriage into a “proper” family estranges him from his parents; his career is stymied; his wife and daughter turn coldly away from him; a transforming experience of new love ends under threat of scandal.
Driven ever deeper within himself, Stoner rediscovers the stoic silence of his forebears and confronts an essential solitude.
A Good American
Author: Alex George
This is the story of the Meisenheimer family, told by James, a third-generation American living in Beatrice, Missouri. It’s where his German grandparents—Frederick and Jette—found themselves after journeying across the turbulent Atlantic, fording the flood-swollen Mississippi, and being brought to a sudden halt by the broken water of the pregnant Jette.
Now that you’ve completed the list of best books set in this state, why not check out some others? Here are the Best Books Set in All 50 States.
DOWNLOAD AND PRINT BOOKS SET IN ALL 50 STATES
Click here to download the printable. It has a list of books in all 50 states including the Best Books Set in Missouri.
- Benjamin O. Davis Sr. Movies
- What Gen Z is Watching
- 5 Kid Approved Slavery Documentaries
- The Best Irish Movies and Shows To Connect With Your Culture
- Listen to these 44 Books that Became Movies
- 11 Awesome Books That Became Movies
- 22 Banned Books You Can Watch as Movies
- 20 Books to Read Aloud and Watch the Movie
Further Reading About the State:
- Missouri (A True Book: My United States) (A True Book (Relaunch))
- What's Great about Missouri? (Our Great States)
- 50 Things to Know About Birds in Missouri: Birds to Watch in the Show Me State (50 Things to Know About Birds- United States)
- Missouri by the Numbers - Important and Curious numbers about Missouri and her cities (States by the Numbers Book 24)
- Missouri: An Illustrated Timeline 200 Years of Heroes and Rogues, Heartbreak and Triumph
- A Full List of All of the Transformers Movies - May 31, 2023
- Best Movies Set in Idaho - May 30, 2023
- Full List of All the BET Plus Shows Available - May 29, 2023