I love a good murder mystery movie and these 10 Mystery Movies On Netflix are so wickedly dark and fun, they really deliver that awesome mystery who-done-it. Let’s solve a murder.
Everybody loves a good mystery movie. They’re just so fun. But, at the root of it, what is it that makes them so much more fun than, well, something not a mystery?
What Makes a Mystery Movie a Mystery Movie
- Characters – The main character determines the way the plot or mystery will develop and is usually the person who will solve the problem the story centers upon. Sherlock for example. He’s the center. Unless you’re Team Watson, then maybe he’s driving the boat.
- Setting – Unusual settings (such as a fantasy world) or familiar, everyday settings can help a viewer to better visualize the story. So, usually really rich visualizations or even caricatures of the every day. But either way, it’s usually really deep and vivid.
- Plot – There’s typically a well-developed plot with a few unexpected twists and turns that add a lot to the character development and the fun of watching.
- Problem – There’s always a problem. Usually one that’s complex and without a clear solution. That’s the whole mystery thing, right?
- Solution – There’s always a resolution, where the hero can save the day. Even if it’s a sad saving. The mystery is solved.
If this meets the definition of what you’d like to unravel, well, let’s solve a murder, then, shall we?
10 Mystery Movies On Netflix
An overdue honeymoon. A shocking crime. A roomful of suspects. If Nick and Audrey can stay alive, this could be their best vacation ever. (Watch on Netflix)
The cult hit returns! Captured by mad scientists, new host Jonah survives a blitz of cheesy B movies by riffing on them with his funny robot pals. (Watch on Netflix)
In a dramatized depiction of her 11-day disappearance, novelist Agatha Christie solves a real murder amid a crisis in her writing and marriage. (Watch on Netflix)
Meet a detective who’s brilliant, funny and just a little bit lonely. It’s not easy being this Handsome. (Watch on Netflix)
Hosts Joel and Mike and their robot companions offer hilarious running commentary on B movies they’re forced to watch in these classic MST3K episodes. (Watch on Netflix)
Indigenous detective Jay Swan arrives in the town of Goldstone to search for a missing person, and his simple duty becomes complicated when he uncovers a web of crime and corruption. (Watch on Netflix)
Rising FBI investigators Ray and Jess, along with Claire, their district-attorney supervisor, are suddenly torn apart following the brutal murder of Jess’ teenage daughter. Thirteen years later, after obsessively searching for the elusive killer, Ray uncovers a new lead that he is certain can permanently resolve the case and bring long-desired closure to the team. But no one is prepared for the shocking and unspeakable secret that follows. (Watch on Netflix)
Set in the early 1950s, while Britain is still suffering through the aftermath of the Second World War, the local priest at St Mary’s Catholic Church in fictional Cotswold village Kembleford often finds himself solving the town’s biggest crimes. In addition to his typical parish duties, Father Brown uses his love and understanding of other people to ensure justice is served, and the right person held accountable (though in some circumstances, not always to the standard of the law). Assisted by the parish secretary and his own wit and sharp intellect, Father Brown works his way through a series of mishaps and intriguing clues to piece together the truth at every turn. (Watch on Netflix)
In this contemporary version of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s detective stories, Dr. John Watson is a war vet just home from Afghanistan. He meets the brilliant but eccentric Holmes when the latter, who serves as a consultant to Scotland Yard, advertises for a flatmate. Almost as soon as Watson moves into the Baker Street flat, they are embroiled in mysteries, and Sherlock’s nemesis, Moriarty, appears to have a hand in the crimes. (Watch on Netflix)
Investigating a variety of mysteries that elude scientific explanation. (Watch on Netflix)
Have you seen any of these Mystery Movies On Netflix?