During the 90s and early 2000s, many studios would rush out video games to tie into the release of a highly anticipated movie, and most of the time, the final product wasn’t worth the time.
Games based on movies are a rare sight to see today, but we still have plenty of great original video games with narratives just as compelling as movies and TV shows.
Nonetheless, not all the video games based on movies that came out years ago were bad. In fact, keep reading to learn about the top video game movie tie-ins worth playing.
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- Tobey Maguire, Kirsten Dunst, James Franco (Actors)
Spider-Man 2 (2004)
Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man 2 is still considered one of the best films with the wall-crawler, despite the many reboots of the character over the years.
Many cite the Spider-Man 2 video game as to why the recent Insomniac game works so well, especially when it comes to the web-swinging mechanics of having to attach the web to buildings across New York City.
RELATED: 17 Marvel Movies on Netflix
- Join Jedi-to-be Anakin Skywalker in the Star Wars race of your life! Relive all the thrills and excitement of the Podracer sequence from Star Wars: Episode I. Hang on tight - with afterburners on, Podracers max out at a simulated 600 mph! Race in furious competition against more than 21 opponents! Take on over 21 tracks in 8 unique worlds. Avoid hazards such as methane lakes, meteor showers and Tusken Raiders! Featuring spectacular 3D environments!
- German (Subtitle)
Star Wars Episode I: Racer (1999)
Many video games based on movies have made the common mistake of basing their gameplay around the film’s plot. Star Wars Episode I: Racer, went in a different direction by having a game that is inspired by the pod racing sequence in The Phantom Menace.
Star Wars Episode I: Racer is enjoyable because it features characters and locations from the film, but remains a simple multiplayer racing game—fulfilling the true promise of a tie-in.
The game is also worth checking out because it was recently remastered for the Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4.
RELATED: The Complete Library Of Star Wars Titles on Netflix to Watch
GoldenEye 007 (1997)
When it comes to the top video game movie tie-ins worth playing, many might put GoldenEye 007 at number one. GoldenEye 007 came out on the Nintendo 64 two years after the Pierce Brosnan James Bond film hit theaters.
The game clearly benefited from the wait because GoldenEye 007 was groundbreaking for the time, not just because it was not only a movie tie-in that was good but also because it paved the way for the popular co-op first-person shooters we know of today.
- This intense, epic storyline will reveal secrets of Riddick's past and drop hints about his future
- Groundbreaking graphics technology creates vivid, ultra-realistic harsh environments
RELATED: How to Host a James Bond-Themed Party
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (2004)
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay might be the rare instance when the video game tie-in turns out to be better than the movie itself.
Escape from Butcher Bay earns a spot on this list because of how it managed to mix first-person stealth with action and adventure—playing as Vin Diesel’s Riddick fighting his way through a high-security prison in a prequel to the 2004 film.
People Also Ask:
What is the best movie tie-in game?
- GoldenEye 007.
- Spider-Man 2.
- The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay.
- The Warriors.
- The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.
- Enter the Matrix.
- Disney’s Aladdin.
- Peter Jackson’s King Kong.
What are movie tie-in games?
A tie-in work is a fictional work or other product based on a media property such as a film, video game, television series, board game, website, role-playing game, or literary property.
- Christmas Games and Activities
- How to Host a James Bond-Themed Party
- How To Improve Your TV’s Display Settings for Movies
- 4 of the Greatest Car Chases in Movie History
- The Weirdest Cars in Movie History
- The Four Most Iconic Movie Cars of All-Time
- Best Dining Scenes in Film History - May 24, 2023
- Best Movies To Indulge Your Inner Foodie - May 24, 2023
- The 4 Best Movies to Celebrate Your First Anniversary - May 24, 2023
The Best Platform To Play Stardew Valley - Working Mom Blog | Outside the Box Mom
Tuesday 9th of August 2022
[…] Top Video Game Movie Tie-Ins Worth Playing […]