As an African-American woman, sometimes I search for romantic movies on Netflix that feature Black actors and tell Black stories. This collection of Black love movies on Netflix includes nearly 150 options.
WHAT ARE BLACK LOVE MOVIES?
Black love is a whole movement.
Black Love … highlights love stories from the Black community and answer the question, “What does it take to make a marriage work?” Black Love pulls back the curtain on how love begins and the reality of life-long love, offering proof that it can happen for everyone, but it isn’t a cakewalk. (Source)
Why do we need to highlight “black love?”
Major media outlets routinely present a distorted picture of black families — portraying them as dependent and dysfunctional — while white families are more likely to be depicted as sources of social stability. (Source)
BLACK LOVE MOVIES ON NETFLIX
Netflix has many options for TV and movie entertainment, including a large selection of Black romance movies on Netflix, series and documentaries. It includes old and new options, with a predominantly African-American cast.
It’s not always about Black History Month. Sometimes we just need to see and be able to identify with physical representations of ourselves.
It wasn’t enough just to have African-American characters on TV shows. Rather, I needed to see people that literally looked like ME!
I didn’t know how important it would be to see myself in these role models until middle school.
Here you will find all the African American romantic movies on Netflix I’ve found.
- When Love Happens – Fed up with coordinating weddings for everyone else, unlucky-in-love event planner Mo turns to the internet to see if she can find her own Mr. Right.
- Somewhere In The Middle – Relationships falter and infatuations form as the lives of four lovers collide in interwoven stories told from various viewpoints.
- November Rule-Entrepreneur Steve ends things with his current girlfriend every November to keep from settling down, but his latest breakup leaves him with regret
- Will 2 Love-A carefree bachelor’s life is upended when he learns that he must tie the knot before his grandfather dies in order to inherit the family fortune.
- Boy Bye-Single entrepreneur Veronica finally starts to believe in love after meeting sexy Lance, but she soon discovers he’s hiding something from her.
- The Man In 3B– A charismatic new tenant quickly makes his mark on a Queens apartment building, but his popularity soon results in a murder with many suspects.
- The Preachers Son-When the romantic secrets of his family members become public, the career and community standing of a respected bishop are threatened.
- The Love Letter-When her best friend gets engaged to a woman he doesn’t love, an advice columnist turns to her readers for help and makes a surprising discovery.
- Marry Me For Christmas-To appease her family during the holidays, a single woman pretends to be engaged to her employee.
- I’m In Love With A Church Girl-When a tough-minded ex-drug dealer falls for a beautiful but highly devout woman, their mutual attraction takes them both down a twisty path.
- Where Children Play-A young woman is forced to face her childhood demons. When tasked with returning home to care for her ailing abusive father.
- My Last Day Without You-On a one-day business trip to New York, a young German business executive falls in love with a singer-songwriter who exposes him to her Brooklyn world and emotions he’s never experienced before.
- Greenleaf-Although members of the Greenleaf family run a Memphis megachurch, their business and personal lives are tainted with greed, adultery and other sins.
- Deuces-Assigned to go undercover to take down an impenetrable crime ring, a detective finds himself falling under the sway of its enigmatic leader.
- Road To Yesterdays-Their marriage failing, Victoria and Izu try to reconnect during a road trip. But bringing long-repressed secrets to light threatens yet more discord.
- The Dempsey Sister– is a movie about the power of believing in a dream, the force of a family bond, and being willing to give up a sure thing for the one thing that makes life worth living overall.
- The Wedding Party-A groomsman must navigate a slew of disasters to maintain order at his best friend’s wedding reception.
- A Weekend With The Family-A young lawyer’s attempt to secretly date his boss’s daughter leads to trouble when she invites him and his uncouth family over for the weekend.
- Adulterers-When he comes home early on his anniversary to find his wife in bed with another man, an enraged husband holds them both hostage at gunpoint.
- Honeytrap-New to London, a naive and desperate teenager tries to fit in but instead becomes tragically implicated in a merciless world of gang violence.
- Brotherly Love-et on the backdrop of Philadelphia’s famed Overbrook High School, we track the lives of the nations number one high school basketball player Sergio Taylor as he deals with the early pressures of hood fame.
- The Sin Seer-Ricard has a gift, she can see into your soul. She can discern the truth from a lie and sometimes, she can perceive the very thoughts before they are formed in your mind.