Every state is known for something. As you work your way through the list, don't miss the best books set in Michigan.
Michigan is a state in the Great Lakes region of the upper Midwestern United States. With a population of nearly 10.12 million and an area of nearly 97,000 sq mi, Michigan is the 10th-largest state by population, the 11th-largest by area, and the largest by area east of the Mississippi River.
Best Books Set in Michigan
- intriguing novel
- Morrison, Toni (Author)
Song of Solomon
Author: Toni Morrison
Milkman Dead was born shortly after a neighborhood eccentric hurled himself off a rooftop in a vain attempt at flight. For the rest of his life he, too, will be trying to fly.
As Morrison follows Milkman from his rustbelt city to the place of his family’s origins, she introduces an entire cast of strivers and seeresses, liars and assassins, the inhabitants of a fully realized Black world.
- Mandel, Emily St. John (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
Author: Emily St. John Mandel
Kirsten Raymonde will never forget the night Arthur Leander, the famous Hollywood actor, had a heart attack on stage during a production of King Lear. That was the night when a devastating flu pandemic arrived in the city, and within weeks, civilization as we know it came to an end.
- Eugenides, Jeffrey (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
Author: Jeffrey Eugenides
First published in 1993, The Virgin Suicides announced the arrival of a major new American novelist. In a quiet suburb of Detroit, the five Lisbon sisters―beautiful, eccentric, and obsessively watched by the neighborhood boys―commit suicide one by one over the course of a single year.
As the boys observe them from afar, transfixed, they piece together the mystery of the family's fatal melancholy, in this hypnotic and unforgettable novel of adolescent love, disquiet, and death.
A Mentor and Her Muse
Author: Susan Sage
Maggie Barnett works in the media center of a school in Flint, Michigan where she meets Taezha Riverton, an aspiring teenage writer. After discovering that Maggie is also a writer, Taezha turns to her as both a mentor and friend.
Author: Harriet Simpson Arnow
The Dollmaker was originally published in 1954 to immediate success and critical acclaim. In unadorned and powerful prose, Harriette Arnow tells the unforgettable and heartbreaking story of the Nevels family and their quest to preserve their deep-rooted values amidst the turmoil of war and industrialization.
When Gertie Nevels, a strong and self-reliant matriarch, follows her husband to Detroit from their countryside home in Kentucky, she learns she will have to fight desperately to keep her family together.
A sprawling book full of vividly drawn characters and masterful scenes, The Dollmaker is a passionate tribute to a woman's love for her children and the land.
Now that you've completed the list of best books set in this state, why not check out some others? Here are the Best Books Set in All 50 States.
DOWNLOAD AND PRINT BOOKS SET IN ALL 50 STATES
Click here to download the printable. It has a list of books in all 50 states including the Best Books Set in Michigan.
- 18 Black Hallmark Christmas Movies
- 18 Must See Basketball Movies on Netflix
- 10 Best Dog Movies
- 20+ Family Vacation Movies
- 28 Movies on Netflix About the African-American Experience
- Listen to these 44 Books that Became Movies
- 11 Awesome Books that Became Movies
- 22 Banned Books You Can Watch as Movies
- 20 Books to Read Aloud and Watch the Movie
Further Reading About the State:
- It Happened in Michigan: Stories of Events and People that Shaped Great Lakes State History (It Happened In Series)
- What's Great about Michigan? (Our Great States)
- The Great Book of Michigan: The Crazy History of Michigan with Amazing Random Facts & Trivia (A Trivia Nerds Guide to the History of the United States)
- Michigan (A True Book: My United States) (A True Book (Relaunch))
- Michigan Bucket List Adventure Guide: Explore 100 Offbeat Destinations You Must Visit!