Every state is known for something. As you work your way through the list, don’t miss the best books set in Montana.
Montana is a western state defined by its diverse terrain ranging from the Rocky Mountains to the Great Plains. Its wide-open spaces include Glacier National Park, a vast wilderness preserve that passes into Canada. The park’s many snow-capped peaks, lakes, and alpine hiking trails are showcased along its famed Going-to-the-Sun Road, stretching 50 miles.
Best Books Set in Montana
- Earling, Debra Magpie (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
Author: Debra Magpie Earling
On the Flathead Indian Reservation, summer is ending, and Louise White Elk is determined to forge her own path. Raised by her Grandmother Magpie after the death of her mother, Louise, and her younger sister have grown up in the harsh social and physical landscape of western Montana in the 1940s, where Native people endure boarding schools and life far from home.
As she approaches adulthood, Louise hopes to create an independent life for herself and an improved future for her family—but three persistent men have other plans.
Wind from an Enemy Sky
Author: D’Arcy McNickle
A tragedy of good intentions gone hopelessly wrong, Wind from an Enemy Sky tells the story of the Little Elk People, a fictional Northwestern tribe. Through the eyes of Antoine, grandson of the tribal leader, we see the tribe attempt to overcome their demoralization at the hands of advancing white civilization.
Author: Larry Watson
The tragic tale of a Montana family ripped apart by scandal and murder: “a significant and elegant addition to the fiction of the American West”
Author: Sid Gustafson
Swift Dam pulls you in, drags you practically, sweeping you over the western landscape until you are ankle-deep in Sid Gustafson’s world. The writing flows through the reader’s mind like water and entrenches the reader in the story.
With each passing chapter, it becomes harder to discern if you are reading a published novel or a form of the author’s diary.
The story follows the major life events of a traveling veterinarian and a small-town sheriff, describing the intertwining of the two lives. Although the back panel of the book suggests it is about the travesty of a disaster in rural Montana, it is really so much more.
- Used Book in Good Condition
- A. B. Guthrie Jr. (Author)
The Big Sky
Author: A. B. Guthri
The Big Sky is the first of A. B. Guthrie Jr.’s epic adventure novels set in the American West. Here he introduces Boone Caudill, Jim Deakins, and Dick Summers: traveling the Missouri River from St. Louis to the Rockies, these frontiersmen live as trappers, traders, guides, and explorers.
Now that you’ve completed the list of best books set in this state, why not check out some others? Here are the Best Books Set in All 50 States.
DOWNLOAD AND PRINT BOOKS SET IN ALL 50 STATES
Click here to download the printable. It has a list of books in all 50 states including the Best Books Set in Montana.
- 10 Best Lifetime Christmas Movies
- All The Best Black Women Movies on Netflix
- All the Black Christmas Movies on Lifetime
- All the Nicholas Sparks Movies on Hulu
- All the Nicholas Sparks Movies on Disney Plus
- Listen to these 44 Books that Became Movies
- 11 Awesome Books That Became Movies
- 22 Banned Books You Can Watch as Movies
- 20 Books to Read Aloud and Watch the Movie
Further Reading About the State:
- It Happened in Montana: Remarkable Events That Shaped History (It Happened in the West)
- Montana Moments
- M Is for Montana (ABC Regional Board Books)
- Montana Curiosities: Quirky Characters, Roadside Oddities & Offbeat Fun (Curiosities Series)
- Montana: Discover Pictures and Facts About Montana For Kids!