These music documentaries on Netflix are great to watch during Black History Month, African-American Music Appreciation Month, or any time of year. These Netflix titles feature concert footage, explorative films, and biographical dramas.
What are music documentaries?
Movies, television, or radio programs provide a factual record or report about a musician’s life and career.
What is African-American Music Appreciation Month?
African-American Music Appreciation Month is an annual celebration of African-American music in the United States. It was initiated as Black Music Month by President Jimmy Carter who, on June 7, 1979, decreed that June would be the month of black music.
In 2009, the commemoration was given its current name by President Barack Obama. Obama noted that African-American music and musicians have helped the country “to dance, to express our faith through song, to march against injustice, and to defend our country’s enduring promise of freedom and opportunity for all.” (Source)
These movies include everything from concert footage to explorative films and biographical dramas. These are great selections to add to your Netflix list.
What better way to celebrate the weekend than by binge-watching Netflix?
All the titles listed are currently on Netflix, but that is subject to change without notice.
AFRICAN-AMERICAN MUSIC DOCUMENTARIES ON NETFLIX
Groundbreaking artists share their life stories in this vibrant documentary series that captures hip-hop’s impact on global culture. (Watch on Netflix)
Influential MCs, DJs, and moguls trace hip-hop’s growth from the basements of the Bronx to the top of the charts in this documentary series. (Watch on Netflix)
Using never-before-heard recordings, rare archival footage, and her best-known songs, this is the story of legendary singer and activist Nina Simone. (Watch on Netflix)
BIGGIE: I GOT A STORY TO TELL — NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY (AVAILABLE ON MARCH 1, 2021)
Featuring rare footage and in-depth interviews, this documentary celebrates the life of The Notorious B.I.G. on his journey from hustler to rap king. | Stream on Netflix
In 1977 in New York City, the talented and soulful youth of the South Bronx chased dreams and breakneck beats to transform music history. (Watch on Netflix)
Miles Davis: Birth of Cool
Unpack the mythology of Miles Davis and learn the true story of a jazz legend with never-before-seen footage and celebrity interviews. | Stream on Netflix
If you love all things hip hop, listen to this Audible Original featuring renowned music producer and performer Maejor with a free trial of Audible Plus:
People Also Ask:
What should I watch on Netflix during Black History month?
- HOMECOMING: A film by Beyoncé
- Voices of Fire.
- Race: Bubba Wallace.
- High on the Hog: How African American Cuisine Transformed America.
- Untold: Malice at the Palace.
- Ronnie Coleman: The King.
- Who Killed Malcolm X?
What month is African American Music Appreciation Month?
Do you have any favorite music documentaries on Netflix?
- 15 Black Love Movies on Netflix
- 9 Black Documentaries On Netflix
- 6 Black Power Movies on Netflix
- 25 Black History Movies on Netflix
- 7 Slavery Movies on Netflix for Black History Month
- 100’s of Black Movies on Netflix
- 13 Black History Movies on HBO Max
- All The Best Black Women Movies on Netflix
- 6 Must-See Black Documentaries
- 20 Must Watch Black History Movies
- 11 Movies About Racism on Netflix
- 9 Epic Music Documentaries on Netflix
- Romantic Comedy Movie Bucket List & Bingo - September 26, 2022
- 25 Days of Disney Christmas Movies - September 26, 2022
- Buying Old Vintage Christmas Movies On DVD To Give As Gifts - September 26, 2022